Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1

Content:  

  • LITERAL
    (a) Statement saying: “I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”

"I, Gustavo A. Rios, affirm that I completed my Independent Component which represents 30 hours of work"

  • (b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component

The source that help me with my Independent Component 1 is Joe Hogan who is my Drama Teacher/Director of the I-Poly Drama play Called 'Working".

  • (c) Provide a digital spreadsheet (aka log of the 30 hours).   Post it next to your mentorship log.

It already post up in my blog page, but I put another one here just in case if the link in my blog page might go something wrong.

Independent Component 1 Log

  • (d) Explanation of what you completed.    

What I have Complete was for the past two and half months, I have been rehearsing and preform a musical play Call "Working" with the I-Poly Drama Club and perform it at I-Poly High School on December 4, 5, and 7. Its also part of The drama club preparation for the competition for the annual Fullerton Festival on March 15 and 16.

  • INTERPRETIVE 
    Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.  

Many people believe performing a play might be easy, and it isn't. It takes to of time to prepare a performance before performing the play, especially this one since it was the first play the the drama club is doing a musical play. So almost every week of September, October, November, and even last week of December, I will always come after school rehearsals to practice on scenes of Act 1 and 2 for 2 to 3 hours from Mon - Thurs.

What I did was That I got two different parts for the show. the first one was that I was a office guy in the background which I got to say a line about how the office was to small to work in. The second one was my main one, which is that I got to play as a guy name Anthony who is a Stone Mason. This where I do a monologue about how this character love his work so  much  and how he express it by building a wall out of brick. I have to learn how the character acts and how he feels about his work. 

 Not only did I just learn my lines and learn to be the character, but I also have to practice a lot of choreography with groups, since I am also in a couple of scenes that involves big dancing and singing numbers. It was a lot of work that it took us about 3 weeks to get down the opening scene of the play which was called "All the Live Long Day". I have to spend long hours on the choreography with the group so that way the group will make a good impression to the audience. 

The Evidence are pictures I took during my rehearsal of practicing choreography, practicing my monologue, my scheduled, and the performance of the play. All of the evidences will be at the bottom for you to see.

  • APPLIED
    How did the component help you understand the foundation of your topic better?  Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped. 

How this component help me to understand my topic better is seeing how do I, as an actor, is able to grab people's attention and have them enjoy them selves.  Because right after the performance, many people from the audience were complementing the group's performance work, including my performance, and how well we did. This got me thinking of how on earth was I able to grab peoples attention. I know that many people will say "practice, practice, practice"  is the key answer to create a good performance, but I wanted to know what are ways to do a great performance that amuses the audience. I began to observe the rehearsal while doing it. I notice that the whole group are practicing choreography so much. I have to learn my ques of when move and where I'll be standing. Thanks to this, it help to formulate my first answer of using the blocking technique, because during the rehearsals, everyone have to know how will the scene will run and make sure that our choreography goes well on stage.

Not only that, I also observe myself to see how I become the character that I am playing and how I am expressing my self with my whole body, mind, and vocal. This got me thinking of of the tools that I research which talks about what tools will actors use when rehearsing like the Stanislavsky method, which teaches you how to become the character through emotion and memories of your own, and the Chekov Technique, which teaches you to use your body, vocal, and mind to create body language and so on. Thanks to this tools that I have research, I want to learn and know which of the techniques or methods will help an actor like me that will bring the audience attention that will amuse them very effectively.



























No comments:

Post a Comment